National Rural Livelihood Mission
National Rural Livelihood Mission (NRLM) is a poverty alleviation project implemented by Ministry of Rural Development, Government of India. This scheme is focused on promoting self-employment and organization of rural poor. The basic idea behind this programme is to organize the poor into SHG (Self Help Groups) groups and make them capable for self-employment. In 1999 after restructuring Integrated Rural Development Programme(IRDP), Ministry of Rural Development (MoRD) launched Swarnajayanti Grameen Swarojgar Yojana (SGSY) to focus on promoting self-employment among rural poor. SGSY is now remodeled to form NRLM thereby plugging the shortfalls of SGSY programme. This scheme was launched in 2011 with a budget of $5.1 billion and is one of the flagship programmes of Ministry of Rural Development. This is one of the world’s largest initiatives to improve the livelihood of poor. This programme is supported by World Bank with a credit of $1 Billion. The scheme was succeeded by Deen Dayal Antyodaya Yojana on 25 September 2015.
About Tripura Rural Livelihood Mission (TRLM):-
Tripura Rural Livelihood Mission (TRLM) Society is a registered Society under Society Registration Act XXI of 1860 established by the Rural Development Department, Government of Tripura for implementation of National Rural Livelihood Mission in the State. Tripura Rural Livelihood Mission aims to social and economic empowerment of the rural poor and women of the State. The Mission is having two pronged approach –
- Social Empowerment through Self sustained community institution.
- Economic Empowerment through gainful and sustainable livelihoods to poor and women.
“Aspires to enhance the wellbeing of rural poor by empowering women in Tripura”
“To reduce poverty by enabling the poor households to access gainful self-employment and skilled wage employment opportunities, resulting in appreciable improvement in their livelihoods on a sustainable basis, through building strong grassroots institutions of the poor.”
Objective of the Mission:-
- Create sustainable community institution of women i.e. Self Help Group (SHG) and their Village and Cluster/
- Block level federations.
- Provide trainings to community Institutions for democratic functioning and participatory bottom up planning.
- Ensuring savings, credit and insurance services for poor and women.
- Increase livelihood opportunities by enhancing existing livelihoods in farm and non-farm sectors.
- Establishing market linkage.
- Skill development and placement for unemployed youths.
poor into Self Help Group(SHG)
This scheme will organize rural poor into Self Help Group(SHG) groups and make them capable for self-employment. The idea is to develop better livelihood options for the poor.